Monday, September 5, 2011

The Weekend Ride and the thing about cleats...

For those who just want totals, today I went 20 miles for a total of 162 miles. For those who want the funny story, keep reading!

Here's the thing about cleats - they work! A few nights ago, Shawn and I changed out one pedal and I practiced clicking in and out. Today, we were going on a 30 mile ride with our friend John Hively. On our way to the ride, we stopped at REI so they could use their special tools and expertise to change the other one before we completely stripped it. It took Jason about 2 minutes to change out the pedal and I'm sure he was clucking his head at our amateur attempt.

We arrived at the park where we would start our ride. I set the pedals at the easiest level of "clicking out" and then practiced in a stationary position. Luckily, I quickly realized you have to set the level on BOTH SIDES of the pedals. I continued to pratice, click in - click out, click in - click out. Then, I took a practice round in the parking lot. Click in - click out, perfect. Click in - click out, perfect. Easy. Simple. I biked back to the truck and promptly forgot to click out either foot and down to the pavement I went still fully clicked into both pedals.



I laughed, Shawn and John came running. I have a nice scratched up lump on one knee and several bruises. I have tried to count them (keep reading), but when I think I have the total, I find a new one.

I was fine and off we went. At the first stop (30 feet from the truck), I fell again. Shawn is now worried because we will be biking in traffic and falling into traffic is just not a good idea.

With lots of focused concentration, I managed to click out perfectly the next three times. We rode pretty uneventfully for many miles. At one point, I was climbing a not-very-steep-hill, but I was so tired. I clicked out with my right foot successfully. Then, I went to put my left foot on the ground forgetting to click out and promptly fell for the 3rd time.

We (and by 'we' I really mean 'me') decided to cut our ride by 10 miles and take a shortcut back to the car. I guess I was a little ambitious thinking my daily 10-miles-at-a-time could be expanded to a long and hilly 30-miler.

I did have to walk up a few hills - removing my bike computer so it's not calculated into the total. My rule - the butt has to be in the seat for the miles to count.

We'll see how sore I am tomorrow on my bike ride to work!

3 comments:

  1. Wow - carry on with your tough self. 2 rides to work and you're over 200 miles! Huzzah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bravo. I have my share of bruises and broken ribs. On my virgin ride down a mtn on new serious bike, I fiddled with computer and crashed back side up in a ditch. I had unconsciously or consciously flipped onto my bike to save my bike from serious damage. In the process of that, cracked a rib. Ummm...priorities. now have been chugging up/zipping down mts in Southern Oregon all summer. puff/whee. keep it up. Howie

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Puff/whee"... love that.

    Hey - 20 miles a day including weekends gets you to 600 by Sept. 27th!!!!!

    ReplyDelete